Leadership Chapel-Hill Carrboro
Leadership Chapel Hill-Carrboro 2020 is postponed due to COVID-19.
Stay tuned for 2020 program updates and for immediate questions, contact Chamber VP Katie Loovis at (919) 696-0781 (cell) or KLoovis@carolinachamber.org.
What: Leadership Chapel Hill-Carrboro (Leadership) is an intensive program designed to inform, develop, and engage committed and emerging leaders in Greater Chapel Hill-Carrboro.
When: The annual program launches in early May with a cocktail reception and orientation and concludes in September with a public graduation. A majority of the learning sessions are all-day from 8am-4pm on the 2nd and 4th Thursdays of each month.
Where: Programming takes place at key locations throughout Greater Chapel Hill-Carrboro, including the Towns of Chapel Hill and Carrboro as well as southern Orange, northern Chatham, and southwest Durham Counties.
Who: Participants are committed or emerging leaders who live and/or work in our region and share a desire “For a Greater Chapel Hill-Carrboro.” Hallmarks of Leadership participants include a commitment to community service, a passion for learning, and a willingness to serve in key volunteer leadership roles.
Why: Participants broaden their understanding of issues and opportunities facing the region, refine their leadership skills, and are invited to deepen their influence through ongoing networking and service opportunities.
How: A cohort-based learning experience with ten sessions over five months, Leadership combines presentations, tours, experiential learning activities, and facilitated dialogue to help participants better understand key issues in our region related to government, education, health and human services, economic development, and the environment.
Sponsors: If you would like to sponsor the 2020 Leadership Program contact Katie Loovis.
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” (Margaret Mead)
*Original 2020 Schedule (now postponed).
- Session #1 - Kickoff & Orientation | Chapel Hill
Thursday, May 7, 2020 | 5:30pm-8pm | The Franklin Hotel
- Session #2 - High Ropes Course | Pittsboro
Thursday, May 14, 2020 | 8am-5pm | Triangle Training Center
- Session #3 - History & Governance | Greater Chapel Hill-Carrboro Region
Thursday, May 28, 2020 | 8am-5pm | The Chamber| Guided Bus Tour through Orange, Chatham, and Durham Counties
- Session #4 - University Relations | Chapel Hill
Thursday, June 11, 2020 | 8am-5pm
- Session #5 - Health & Human Services | Chapel Hill
Thursday, June 25, 2020 | 8am-5pm
- Session #6 - Economic Development & the Environment | Hillsborough
Thursday, July 9, 2020 | 8am-5pm |
- Session #7 - Education & Workforce Development | Hillsborough
Thursday, July 23, 2020 | 8am-5pm |
- Session #8 - Justice, Equity, and Entrepreneurship | Carrboro
Thursday, August 13, 2020 | 8am-5pm
- Session #9 - Arts, Culture, and Tourism | Chapel Hill
Thursday, August 27, 2020 | 8am-5pm
- Session #10 - Graduation & State of the Community Report | Chapel Hill
Thursday, September 10, 2020 | 7:30am-10am | The Friday Center
“Leaders don’t create followers, they create more leaders.” (Tom Peters)
- Community Passport: Complete a checklist of community exercises, including 1) taking public transportation, 2) attending a public meeting, 3) participating in a patrol ride-along, and 4) your choice of one additional experience such as donating blood, hosting a dinner prepared with local ingredients, etc.
- Small Miracles: Complete a Small Miracles group project, which pairs Leadership participants with an area nonprofit organization(s) to learn about its missions and implement a fundraising plan to meet relevant organizational needs. The Leadership Class of 2018 collectively raised more than $13,000 for a local nonprofit called Extraordinary Ventures and a scholarship for a participant for the subsequent Leadership class.
- Program Fee: The program fee is $1,300 for members ($1,500 for non-members) and covers programming, session materials, and meals during each session.
- A limited number of partial scholarships are available. To be considered for scholarship funding, you must complete the Leadership registration and the Scholarship Application.
- Chamber Major Investors are entitled to the following Leadership discounts: Community Champions and Community Investors receive 50% off ($650 total cost per participant); Community Builders and Community Leaders receive 25% off ($975 total cost per participant).
- Attendance: Attendance at all sessions is a requirement for graduation. *Up to two excused absences are permitted with completion of make-up assignments. Given the time commitment, participants must have the full support of their employers.
Register: Click here for the registration page.
Contact: For questions and to discuss participation and sponsorship, contact Chamber Vice President for External Affairs, Katie Loovis, at (919) 696-0781 (cell).
Background: Since 1986, Leadership has offered an annual series of cutting-edge sessions to current and emerging regional leaders. Leadership supports the exploration of multiple perspectives in a safe and respectful environment. Participants build their personal and professional networks as they turn knowledge into action and leverage resources for the benefit of greater Chapel Hill and its people. Leadership is managed by the Chamber’s Partnership for a Sustainable Community and is designed to develop a continual pool of leadership talent for the West Triangle Region, including Chapel Hill, Carrboro, and Orange County.