Leadership 2022 is now underway!
Leadership 2022 is now underway. Let us know if you are interested in joining the Leadership 2023 cohort.
About Leadership Chapel Hill-Carrboro
What: Leadership Chapel Hill-Carrboro (Leadership) is an extensive program designed to inform, develop, connect, and engage committed and emerging leaders in Greater Chapel Hill-Carrboro.
Why: Leadership participants broaden their understanding of issues and opportunities facing the region, refine their leadership skills, develop lasting relationships, and deepen their influence through ongoing networking and service opportunities. Listen to a recent Leadership Graduate share reflections on the program.
How: Leadership is a cohort-based learning experience now in its 36th year. The program features nearly a dozen sessions over five months that combine presentations, tours, experiential learning activities, and facilitated dialogue to help participants better understand key issues in the region related but not limited to government, education, housing, workforce and economic development, and health and human services.
"Earn your leadership every day." (Michael Jordan)
"Leadership and learning are indispensable to each other." (John F. Kennedy)
"The most important thing in good leadership is truly caring. The best leaders in any profession care about the people they lead, and the people who are being led know when the caring is genuine and when it's faked or not there at all." (Dean Smith)
Requirements & Schedule
Requirements: To successfully complete the program, earn a certificate, and become a Leadership Fellow, participants must do three things:
- Attend all sessions (up to two excused absences permitted with completion of make-up assignments).
- Complete the Community Passport (an individual checklist of community activities, such as taking public transportation, attending a public meeting, participating in a patrol ride-along, and hosting a dinner prepared with local ingredients).
- Complete Small Miracles (a team-based project through which the cohort collectively selects an area nonprofit organization and implements a fundraising plan to meet relevant organizational needs. The Leadership Class of 2018 collectively raised more than $13,000 for a local nonprofit called Extraordinary Ventures and a scholarship for a participant for the subsequent Leadership class).
Schedule: Most sessions are on the 2nd and 4th Thursday of each month.
- Session #01 - Wednesday, May 11, 2022 from 5:30pm-8:30pm | Kickoff & Orientation
- Session #02 - Thursday, May 12, 2022 from 8:00am-5:00pm | Experiential Learning (i.e., High Ropes Course)
- Session #03 - Thursday, May 26, 2022 from 8:00am-5:00pm
- Session #04 - Thursday, June 9, 2022 from 8:00am-5:00pm
- Session #05 - Thursday, June 23, 2022 from 8:00am-5:00pm
- Session #06 - Thursday, July 14, 2022 from 8:00am-5:00pm
- Session #07 - Thursday, July 28, 2022 from 8:00am-5:00pm
- Session #08 - Thursday, August 11, 2022 from 8:00am-5:00pm
- Session #09 - Thursday, August 25, 2022 from 8:00am-5:00pm
- Session #10 - Thursday, September 1, 2022 from 7:30am-10am | Graduation and State of the Community Report
“Leaders don’t create followers, they create more leaders.” (Tom Peters)
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." (Margaret Mead)
"The key to successful leadership today is influence, not authority." (Kenneth Blanchard)
Fee: The 2022 program fee is $1,750 (member) and $1,950 (non-member). This fee covers programming, session materials, and meals. Major Investors of the Chamber are entitled to the following discounts: Community Champions and Community Investors receive 50% off; Community Builders and Community Leaders receive 25% off.
Scholarships: A limited number of partial scholarships are available. To be considered for scholarship funding, you must complete the Scholarship Application. Contact McKenzie Reinhold with questions.
Registration: Registration for Leadership 2022 is now closed and registration for Leadership 2023 will open in 1Q2023. Those who enroll commit to the participation and payment requirements and, given the time commitment, must verify the full support of their employers. To learn about Leadership 2023, contact Katie Loovis.
Learn More about Leadership Chapel Hill-Carrboro
Background: Since 1985, Leadership Chapel Hill-Carrboro has offered an annual series of cutting-edge sessions to current and emerging regional leaders. Leadership supports the exploration of multiple perspectives in a safe and respectful environment. Participants build their personal and professional networks as they turn knowledge into action and leverage resources for the benefit of the community and its people. Leadership is managed by The Chamber’s Partnership for a Sustainable Community and is designed to develop a continual pool of leadership talent for Greater Chapel Hill-Carrboro.
Sponsor: Become a sponsor of Leadership (opportunities available from $800-$5,000). For questions about sponsorship, contact Chamber Vice President for Membership, Rebecca Dickenson.
Contact: For questions about Leadership participation, logistics, fees, and scholarships, contact Chamber Manager of Programs and Events, McKenzie Reinhold. For questions about the Leadership learning journey and content, contact Chamber Vice President for External Affairs, Katie Loovis.
"Management is efficiency in climbing the ladder of success; leadership determines whether the ladder is leaning against the right wall." (Stephen Covey)
"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader." (John Quincy Adams)
"People buy into the leader before they buy into the vision." (John Maxwell)