The Chamber's policy platform is grounded in our four values and thoughtfully designed to differentiate our region and improve our competitive advantage.
I. Retain, Recruit, and Grow Employers
- We support policies and projects that create local jobs.
- We support policies that increase formation, retention, and relocation of businesses in our community.
- We support the active, cooperative recruitment of employers and industries.
- We support the development of additional commercial space, including retail, office, flex, warehouse, and manufacturing.
- We support creating and expanding municipal and county grant and loan funds.
- We support policies that support job growth and investment in the renewables and clean energy sectors.
- We support the development and maintenance of an ecosystem that supports entrepreneurs and startups in all phases of their business lifecycle.
II. Develop a Talented Workforce
- We support our public schools and an education that prepares all our community’s children for a globally competitive world of work.
- We support our community colleges and universities, and advocate for well-funded, economically impactful institutions that are responsive to the needs of regional and state employers.
- We support increased access to early childhood education.
- We support a diversity of housing options and expanding the availability of affordable, workforce housing.
- We advocate for an immigration system that gives local employers reliable access to workers they need to thrive.
- We advocate for strategic investments in the talent pipeline that address local skills gaps to better meet the existing and projected workforce needs.
III. Improve Business Climate and Regulatory Environment
- We advocate for policies that make it easier to build, renovate, and redevelop commercial property and diverse housing options.
- We advocate for policies and projects that make it easier to grow, start, or relocate businesses.
- We support implementing successful tools like ‘form-based code’ that create clarity and certainty for all involved.
- We advocate for plentiful, accessible parking in the downtowns.
- We advocate for a fair tax and fee system that does not negatively target nor disadvantage specific sectors or industries.
- We support the increased exportation of local products and services to global customers.
- We support policies that promote development density, streamline regulatory requirements, and reduce regulatory hurdles.
IV. Build and Maintain Infrastructure
- We support accessible, reliable, resilient, and affordable utilities and services, including water, energy, high speed internet, and telephone needed to support business continuity.
- We support public investment of infrastructure, such as water, sewer, and parking, that enables the development of identified economic development zones.
- We support the construction of housing that accommodates projected community growth rates and improves housing affordability.
- We advocate for improved transit and transportation infrastructure to ease local and regional commuting and reduce congestion.
- We support creating and maintaining community amenities that foster a quality of life that attracts and retains talent and employers including well-planned parks, sidewalks, and greenways.
- We support policies that address reductions in carbon emissions, modernize the energy grid, and keep energy prices as affordable as possible.
(This Policy Platform was adopted by The Chamber Board of Directors in March 2021.)