• Get Involved

  • Elected officials need to hear the local business perspective. With the Chamber, your voice is amplified to effectively inform policy decisions. 

    Get involved: Top five ways to get involved:    

    1. Speak at a public hearing: Chapel Hill Town Council, Carrboro Board of Aldermen, Orange County Board of Commissioners, Orange County Board of Education, and Orange Water and Sewer Authority - these are just some of the many local government boards, councils, and commissions that make policies relevant to the business community. Consider joining Chamber staff and speaking on behalf of the local business community at one of the regularly-scheduled meetings. Contact Katie Loovis if interested and available: KLoovis@CarolinaChamber.org or (919) 696-0781. 
    2. Attend an event: The Chamber hosts an every-other-month policy forum on important and timely public policy issues relevant to the business community. Speakers include elected officials and other top decision-makers. The forum is free for Chamber members and is presented by Silverspot Cinema. Attend, get informed, and get engaged. Contact Amy Grau at AGrau@CarolinaChamber.org.
    3. Serve on a Town or County Board: The region needs more business representation on municipal and county boards.  Review open volunteer service opportunities with the Town of Chapel Hill, the Town of Carrboro, and Orange County
    4. Contact your elected representatives and media: While Chamber staff advocate on behalf of your business, it is also powerful and effective for elected officials to hear directly from you. Below are advocacy quick links, you can review more tips on Advocacy Resources, and let us know if you’d like assistance contacting a mayor, alderman, council person, county commissioner, General Assembly member, or member of Congress. 

    1. Vote: The Chamber hosts forums and shares candidate survey responses to help inform your vote, and it is important that you exercise your right to vote: Register to votecheck your registrationcontact the board of elections, and file for candidacy