"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” (Margaret Mead)
Register now for the 2019 Class of Leadership Chapel Hill-Carrboro
What: Leadership Chapel Hill-Carrboro (Leadership) is an intensive program designed to inform, develop, and engage committed and emerging leaders in greater Chapel Hill.
Why: Participants broaden their understanding of issues and opportunities facing the region, refine their leadership skills, and are invited to deepen their influence through ongoing networking and service opportunities.
How: A cohort-based learning experience with nine sessions over four months, Leadership combines presentations, tours, experiential learning activities, and facilitated dialogue to help participants better understand key issues in our region related to government, education, health and human services, economic development, and the environment.
2018 Program: The 2018 program has concluded. Please review the 2018 curriculum to see if next year's program is a good fit for you! Participants committe to the following schedule as well as graduation expectations and payment requirements:
- Session #1 - Kickoff
Wednesday, May 2, 2018 | 6pm-8pm | The Siena Hotel | Chapel Hill
- Session #2 - Orientation & Ropes Course
Thursday, May 3rd | 8am-4pm | Triangle Training Center | Pittsboro
- Session #3 - History & Governance
Thursday, May 24th | 8am-4pm | Chamber of Commerce | Guided Bus Tour through Orange, Chatham, and Durham County
- Session #4 - Education & Workforce Development
Thursday, May 31st | 8am-4pm | Durham Tech Community College Orange County Campus and UNC Health Care Hillsborough Campus | Hillsborough
- Session #5 - Health & Human Services
Thursday, June 14th | 8am-4pm | Robert & Pearl Seymour Center | Chapel Hill
- Session #6 - Economic Development & the Environment
Thursday, June 28th | 8am-4pm | Orange County Main Public Library and Piedmont Food & Agricultural Processing Center (PFAP) | Downtown Hillsborough
- Session #7 - University Relations
Thursday, July 12th | 8am-4pm | University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and IFC Community Kitchen | Downtown Chapel Hill
- Session #8 - Justice, Equity, and Entrepreneurship
Thursday, July 26th | 8am-4pm | OWASA & PTA Thrift Shop/YouthWorx on Main | Downtown Carrboro
- Session #9 - Graduation & State of the Community Report
Thursday, August 23rd | 7:30am-12pm | The Friday Center | Chapel Hill (*Note - Time updated to noon)
Requirements for Graduation:
- Community Passport: Complete a checklist of four community exercises, including 1) taking public transportation, 2) attending a public meeting, 3) participating in a patrol ride-along, and 4) your choice of one additional experience such as donating blood, hosting a dinner prepared with local ingredients, etc.
- Small Miracles: Complete a Small Miracles group project, which pairs Leadership participants with area nonprofit organization(s) to learn about its missions and implement a fundraising plan to meet relevant organizational needs. The Leadership Class of 2015 raised $10,000 for Chamber member TABLE and for one scholarship for the next Leadership class through a Casino Night at the Franklin Hotel.
- Program Fee: The program fee is $1,250 for members ($1,450 for non-members) and covers programming, session materials, and meals during each session.
- A limited number of partial scholarships are available. To be considered for scholarship funding, you must complete the Leadership registration and the Scholarship Application.
- Chamber Major Investors are entitled to the following Leadership discounts: Community Champions and Community Investors receive 50% off ($625 total cost per participant); Community Builders and Community Leaders receive 25% off ($875 total cost per participant).
- Attendance: Attendance at all sessions is a requirement for graduation. *Up to two excused absences are permitted with completion of make-up assignments.
2019 Program: Registration for the 2019 Leadership Program is open! Register Now
Questions: Contact Nick Johnson at email@example.com or 919-357-9989.
Become a Sponsor: Sponsorship opportunities available for $500-$3,000. Contact Rebecca Dickenson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-357-9990.
Background: Since 1986, Leadership has offered an annual series of cutting-edge sessions to current and emerging regional leaders. Leadership supports the exploration of multiple perspectives in a safe and respectful environment. Participants build their personal and professional networks as they turn knowledge into action and leverage resources for the benefit of greater Chapel Hill and its people. Leadership is managed by the Chamber’s Partnership for a Sustainable Community and is designed to develop a continual pool of leadership talent for the West Triangle Region, including Chapel Hill, Carrboro, and Orange County.
“Leaders don’t create followers, they create more leaders.” (Tom Peters)
- Session #1 - Kickoff